Tuesday, January 18

The Vagina Monologues

I finally realized the kind of book I'm in the mood for right now. I want something comfortable, familiar and beloved. With school starting back up in a week, I don't want to be reading something that's as literature-y as the books I have to read for my lit classes.

So last night as I was going to bed I settled in to read some monologues. It's perfect because I know some of them by heart, but others I've never seen before. That's because I've so far only come in contact with the Monologues as a theatrical entity. Turns out, not all of what's in the book is in the play.

The Vagina Monologues are near and dear to my heart. This is my second year being involved in the production at my school. Last year I produced the show, and this year I'm acting in it. And next year I have the honor of directing it along with one of my best friends.

The Vagina Monologues is not a man-hating show. A lot of people believe this. And it's true that Eve Ensler kind of (or at least seems to) hates men. I don't know, in her writing it just seems like she belittles men. She's totally against the "patriarchal culture," but to me it kind of seems like she takes it too far. But maybe that's just me.

Anyway, where I'm going with all this is that being in The Vagina Monologues is one of the best things I've ever done for myself. It makes me feel powerful. I've become very close to a lot of wonderful women who are also in the show. At the risk of sounding too out there, I feel at one with all women all over the world. And I get to moan on stage. Come on, who doesn't want that? (Okay, I realize a lot of people don't want that...)

So please, if you ever get a chance, go see the show. Or even better, be in it. It's really easy, all you have to do is read from a script and you don't even have to memorize your lines! There are sad monologues and happy monologues and everything in between.

I leave you with two fun pictures. The first is me with my former roommate and great friend, Cathy. True story: she was eight months pregnant at last year's show. She actually missed the last performance because of a labor scare! And the second is the super-awesome vagina cake we ate at the cast party!

2 comments:

Jeimy Denisse. said...

I might need to pick up that book after I'm done with the one I'm reading now! And I've always wanted to see the show. I am going to scout Maryland and see where I can find a place to see it :)

Lauren said...

The show I'm in is February 4 and 5 at McDaniel College in Westminster. It's going to be terrific!