Monday, July 12

Love is a Mix Tape

I just finished this book, Love is a Mix Tape by Rob Sheffield. I'm in that dangerous position, you know the one, where you've just finished a terrific book and you really want to immediately jump into another one, but you have to pick just the right book, the perfect book, because anything less than perfection will be a disappointment compared to the book you just finished. Yeah, that's where I am. My next read is Holidays on Ice by David Sedaris, which I have mixed feelings about. I love Mr. Sedaris immensely, but I've heard Holidays isn't as rip-roaring as, say, Me Talk Pretty One Day.

But. Let's get down to love and mix tapes. First off, it's a memoir. I really need to read more memoirs, I think. A fiction book with the most fabulous plot just doesn't hit as close as when it's a true story, when it really happened. And Love is a Mix Tape is a beautiful story. It's your good old-fashioned guy meets girl, girl tragically dies kinda story, with the added bonus of being chock-full of music.

Seriously, if you like music at all, indie/pop/rock/whatever, this book is great. Each chapter starts with a mix tape full of songs that were important to his life at the time. Reading it made me want to make playlists upon playlists of songs for every occasion! I'm toying with the idea of buying a copy of this book for my boyfriend and giving it to him along with an I-Lurve-You! mix tape.

And so here for you, dear readers, is a playlist. I started making it with a blogging/writing/creativity theme in mind, but all my playlists quickly turn into random songs I think are rad. So here you go. Listen to it.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Ooo, I love memoirs, and this one sounds really interesting, so I'm officially adding it to my list. :)

Alex said...

Confession: I am addicted to making playlists. My most recent project was to gather all the songs (out of 18698) that have something to do with monsters - zombies, vamps, werewolves, Godzilla... and a few months ago I went through my whole library for songs that have names in the title. That one was probably a huge waste of time (350 songs... took forever) but still. I need to get my CD drive fixed so I can start sharing the love!

rosehippo said...

Dylan is on there. You speak to my heart.

Ahaha, @Alex, I have a vampires playlist. I make playlists for every occasion, season, boy, you name it. My iPod's chock full of them.